We joined a CSA this year and I love using their locally seasonal vegetables. You can use whatever is in season in your area!
What you Need:
- Whole Pasture Raised Chicken
- Bunch of Fresh Thyme (or rosemary, oregano, etc)
- 1 Lemon (Halved)
- Garlic (2+ cloves depending on preference)
- 2 TB Butter Melted
- 1 Lrg Onion (Cut into wedges)
- 4-5 Carrots (Cut into chunks)
- 1 Bulb of fennel (Greens removed, cut into wedges)
- You could also add potatoes, celery root, turnips, parsnips, or sweet potatoes.
How to Make it:
1. Preheat. Preheat Oven to 425°F.
2. Prepare the Chicken. Rinse the chicken and pat dry. Salt and pepper the inside of the chicken. Stuff the chicken cavity with 1/2 of the thyme, lemon and garlic. Brush the chicken with the melted butter then season with salt and pepper. Tie the legs with roasting string and tuck the wings into the body so they don't dry out.
3. Add the Vegetables. In a roasting pan, add the onions, carrots and fennel and remaining thyme. Season with salt and pepper. Place the chicken on top.
4. Roast. Roast the chicken and vegetables uncovered for 1-1 1/2 hours or until the chicken reaches a temperature of 165°F. (Check after 45 min, smaller chickens will roast faster)
5. Rest. Remove from oven, cover with foil and allow to rest for 15 min.
Need to feed more mouths? Just add in another chicken and more vegetables!