Why We Need to be Eating Fat
If our last blog, we went over the history of how fat has been vilified by nutrition "experts" in our country. Now lets talk about why fat is so important to include in a healthy diet:
1. Brain Function: Essential fatty acids are crucial for cognitive function, memory, and mood regulation and can even help prevent cognitive decline in later years.
2. Nutrient Absorption: Fat is essential for the absorption of fat-soluble vitamins like A, D, E, and K. Our bodies struggle to consume "fortified" vitamins in processed foods.
3. Cellular Health and Structure: Fats form a fundamental part of cell membranes. This is important in new cell development and healing.
4. Regulating Hormones: Healthy fats support the production and regulation of hormones, including those involved in metabolism, mood, and reproductive health.
5. Energy Source: Fats are a dense source of energy, providing a slow and sustained release that helps stabilize blood sugar levels. Unlike processed sugars that cause heart disease and diabetes.
6. Heart Health: Contrary to popular belief, healthy fats with the correct Omega 3-6 ratio are associated with reduced risk of heart disease and improved cholesterol profiles.
Our bodies are meant to eat a 1:1 ratio of Omega 3 fatty acids to Omega 6. In the US, people consume WAY more Omega 6 fatty acids than Omega 3 (like 20 to 1😳-Source: NIH). This comes from processed vegetable and seed oils, and factory farming, all the food the experts are promoting, are making people sick.
How to Choose Healthy Fat:
👉 Your body NEEDS Healthy fat-don't always choose the boneless skinless options or cut off the fatty goodness.
👉 Avoid UPF (Ultra processed foods).
👉 Stay away from foods with corn, soy and other vegetable oils.
👉 Avoid factory farmed meats (including fish)-their diets are made up of corn, soy, and processed grains which skews their Omega 6 and 3 ratio negatively.
👉 Choose grass fed and pasture raised meats- these animals eat a diet rich in grass and plants and has a higher Omega 3 to Omega 6 fatty acids ratio.